Ready Player One Review




On Friday, I went to watch one of Spielsbergs latest films, Ready Player One. That was filmed right in the heart of Digbeth, Birmingham. Ever since the news arose that spielsberg was working on this film I immediately knew I had to see it being a big fan of his work, especially the 80s film franchise, Back To The Future. 

After watching, I have to say that this is probably one of the best films I’ve seen in a while. I loved everything about it. All of the Video Game references, film references, pop culture of the 80s and the whole 80s futurism the whole of the cinematography. Like mentioned previously, I am a massive fan of the BTTF franchise so before viewing I got mega excited by the fact the film poster art was a huge reference towards the franchise so I was already fangirling at the get go.

For those who are unaware, Ready Player One is an adaptation of Ernest Cline’s ‘Ready Player One’. Set in 2045 amongst a Post Apocalyptic world, after war. Explores how a game system called ‘OASIS’ (which is essentially a VR System) helped the world escape this reality. After Haliday passes away (one of the OASIS’s creators) he leaves behind a challenge to find an Easter Egg planted in the OASIS.



As the film starts, we are greeted with what looks like a futuristic yet 80s looking Caravan Park that in which we are introduced with the VR software and greeted with Wade Watts, an orphaned boy who appears to be the ultimate ‘Fan Boy’ of the OASIS. who since the passing of his parents now lives with this aunt upon this Caravan Park, Plays this VR system upon the personal known as ‘PARZIVAL’ . Although, myself I was born 9 years before the 80s, it still is one of my favourite eras for pop culture and from the get go as Van Halen’s 1984 hit ‘Jump’ is played in the introductory scene and really sets the scene of the plot line and create a very good atmosphere to tell the story.  We are also introduced into the ‘OASIS’ ,which is jam packed with many many gaming references and is a gamers dream. 
For me there was too many references, characters etc from various different pop cultures. That I didn’t quite catch all in the first viewing and kind of had to have a look online after. So I would recommend watching more than once as this film is something that gives of something new every time. For the references I did catch I will list below..




Ready Player One POP Culture References I gained from the first viewing..


• Back To The future -
Deloreen, ‘Art3mis’ referring to ‘PARZIVAL’ as “Marty“ , Doc Brown makes an aaperance in the background..

• Minecraft-
Mine craft world

• Overwatch- 
characters

• The Joker and Harley Quin make an appearance 

• The Iron Giant

• The Shining 

• King Kong

• Chucky

• Tomb Raider

• Space Raiders 

• Hello Kitty

• Michael Jackson- 
Thriller

• Doctor Who -
The Tardis

Although 3D films are proving to become less popular in recent years I still feel that this film should have been made in 3D format, just as my personal preference but I guess some may disagree with meas I feel this would have made the film feel sort of interactive. Some other things that I must add is that I would have like to have seen more of a character background from the other characters ‘PARZIVAL’ meets on his online VR adventures to create more of a broad range of aspects and viewpoints from this VR world. And maybe more Game Play from Popular games would be added and lastly more of an in-depth plot of the outside world. To really get to grips with the opening plot summary of A post war stricken 2045.


Being not close to Birmingham at all, I felt so proud to see the city in various scenes of city that I recognised and see quite often in a Hollywood film and to have had a massive name such as Spielsberg creating content in the city, I feel well and truely puts Birmingham on the map for film making. And hopefully, in the future many other big Hollywood budget films start being made here on my doorstep...
And feel that Ready Player One is a Great film But with Few little minor things I would have liked to have scene but overall I defiantly think it’s worth a watch and especially if your a big fan of the 80s and Gaming.

Comments

Popular Posts